Wednesday 2 March 2016

Elwood Street - what can go wrong . . .


Tree garden a couple of years old
Over on Elwood Street nearby, this is a vision of what can happen if that tree garden is neglected. I'm sure we don't want anything like this on Chatterton Road, and with some community spirit this can be easily avoided, right gang ?

It could be that there are indeed wildflowers ready to spring up here in a few week's time, but the edges of the garden look a bit unloved.



Islington Council offices with huge planted bed by the entrance . . .
My goodness me, I can see what my neighbour Jennifer is on about ! Apparently these lovely big beds were installed when the Council built a big new office block for Childrens' Services a year or so ago.

The Council put in the plants and shrubs but did not allow for maintenance. When I spoke to the people in the building yesterday they said 'Call the Council' when I asked who waters and trims the plants.

 It appears that these very large beds were laid out, planted and then just left. As half of this bed is overshadowed by the building it never even gets rainwater, so it's no wonder the plants are distressed.

Admittedly looking in February is not ideal, but there's no evidence of any new growth, no flowers coming through, so it's a mess and will only get worse. It's also very large, and these beds dominate the street. The good news is that my friend Pauline, who lives on this street, is in touch with one of our local councillors and she is working hard to get some help with the street planting they've got there. I shall keep you all posted.

I did also tell Pauline about the Blackstock Triangle, who were my inspiration for the idea of Grey to Green for our road, Chatterton Road; hopefully she'll now read our blog and get more connected with the other planting activities going on our local neighbourhood. . .  well done Pauline . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment